Reporting / Our Sustainability Roadmap
Since 2015, KiRiVOO has had the same goal - to create sustainable apparel for a classy, thoughtful and strong woman. We like to embrace our collective responsibility to take care of the Earth and secure a sustainable future. Our Sustainability Report is here to demonstrate our commitment to sustainable development and to the practices that we are implementing to reduce the impact our operations have on the planet.
BIGGEST GLOBAL PROBLEMS THAT WE ADDRESS:
- Greenhouse gas - textile production produces 1.2 billion tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions annually, and that is more than those of all international flights and maritime shipping combined. If fashion were a country, it would be the 4th largest CO2 emitter in the world that is effectively undermining global efforts to address climate change.
- Waste - 80% of all discarded clothing goes to landfill or is incinerated. 35% of supply chain materials currently ends up as waste.
- Chemicals - conventional cotton farming uses high levels of pesticides and toxic chemicals that seep into the Earth. Around 20% of all global industrial water pollution results from the dyeing, treatment of textiles. Dyeing and finishing of textiles, including cotton, can require as much as 200 tonnes of water for every tonne of textiles produced. Read further here.
- Poverty - cotton farmers in developing countries (including India and China) live in hardship. Cotton is vital for the survival of many low income countries in Central and West Asia and Africa but the challenges range from the impact of climate change, poor prices for seed cotton, through to competition from highly subsidised producers in rich countries and poor terms of trade. Read further here.
- Water - according to a report by the World Economic Forum, the water crisis is one of the greatest global risk in terms of impact to society. Cotton production makes up 69% of this overall water footprint, with 1KG of cotton taking as much as 10,000–20,000 litres of water to produce. The majority of this water footprint comes from cotton farming. Read further here.
Our vision is design and manufacture products with greater care and preserve the health of our planet, people and animals. We dream of becoming the Europe’s leading online shopping and rental destination for a wide range of quality sustainable fashion and lifestyle products that have an irrelevant environmental impact.
THE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS set by United Nations are the blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all. Today, the actions that KiRiVOO takes are mostly guided by the following goals:
- Goal 3 - Good health and well-being
- Goal 6 - Clean water and sanitation
- Goal 8 - Decent work and economic growth
Goal 12 - Responsible Production and Consumption
- Goal 13 - Climate Action
- Goal 14 - Life below water (avoid plastic bags)
- Goal 17 - Partnerships to achieve the goals
OUR KEY SUSTAINABILITY OBJECTIVES:
1. Follow and promote responsible production and consumption. As well as, aim for a carbon neutral company.
2. Make great quality sustainable fashion and lifestyle products more accessible to consumers.
3. Run a fully transparent sustainable apparel business and promote greater transparency in the fashion industry.
SHORT TERM TARGETS:
1.1. Design and manufacture products sustainability in mind, taking into account the whole lifecycle of every product.
2.1. Create new sustainable products that customers want.
3.1. Endorse full-transparency throughout the supply chain and clearly demonstrate that to customers too to build trust.
MEDIUM TERM TARGETS:
1.2. Start producing products in England to save resources, carbon footprint and time from shipping products from Estonia. Make it local to minimize the ecological footprint.
2.2. Go circular by making our products also sharable. That enables us to maximise the time products are being used and make products more accessible to consumers with smaller purchasing power.
3.2. Build awareness by talking about brand beliefs in making products in an ethical way. Show it, prove it. Start accurately measuring the footprint and performance.
LONG TERM TARGETS:
1.3. Build awareness to help consumers understand better the values behind sustainable production and consumption. In turn that will help to increase the demand for sustainably made goods.
2.3. Build a one stop online destination for all sorts of sustainable quality products.
3.3. Make products lifecycle fully traceable item by item basis so, consumers can get an access and really start to appreciate how much work goes into making each one of our products.
1.4. Use only responsible production techniques and certified eco-friendly materials (organic cotton, organic peace silk, recycled and other environmentally friendly materials). Produce ethically on demand to reduce waste and save resources. Use carbon neutral deliveries if possible. Continue planting trees to minimize the carbon footprint of our business. Use eco paper for packaging and marketing materials to save resources. Invest in social media marketing, do storytelling, do collabs and make it attractive.
1.4.1. We take extra care to protect the environment by using only certified textiles (GOTS, ECOCERT, FWF) and dyeing processes (Standard 100 by OECO-TEX) that comply with the highest standards of ecology and sustainable development and do not consist harmful substances. As well as, source our 100% recycled precious metals from a certified member of the Responsible Jewellery Council and use low impact additive manufacturing processes.
2.4. Keep on creating a wide range of sustainable apparel and jewellery products that have good quality, are timeless, unique, skinfriendly and safe. Open a sustainable fashion and jewellery showroom and circular closet for renting customers in London. Invest in digital marketing to boost growth. Build a community and promote sustainability. Parner for imporvement.
3.4. Partner for improvement and full transparency. Start using Higg Index, Planetly, Green Story or other solution that help to accurately measure company’s and products footprint. Link each item sold and rented to a story/data that demonstrates the full cycle of the product. Become a certified better corporation, GOTS certified, carbon neutral certified brand.
SUMMARY OF OUR VISION, OBJECTIVES and TARGETS
KiRiVOO, a sustainable apparel and jewellery brand, vision is to design and manufacture products with greater care and preserve the health of our planet, people and animals. KiRiVOO believes in full transparency and aims to become a circular, carbon neutral fashion business. KiRiVOO is on a mission to promote sustainable consumption, build one stop destination for all sorts of sustainable quality goods and to make ecologically made products more accessible.
Updated in April 2022 by Ines Karu-Salo, Founder/Director at KiRiVOO.com